First Choice Plan Administrator: America’s Family Benefit Plan
The First Choice Preferred Provider Network provides you with access to hundreds of participating doctors and medical specialists and service locations throughout Western New York. As a First Choice member, you and your family will receive the highest quality care at the lowest possible cost, with more comfort and convenience than ever before.
First Choice also provides benefit coverage for specialized hospital services.
- Cancer Treatment: Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Pediatric Care: John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital
- Burn Treatment, Transplants, Trauma Care: Erie County Medical Center
- Behavioral Health & Substance Abuse Treatment: Catholic Health (St. Joseph Campus / Mount St. Mary’s Hospital), Erie County Medical Center & BryLin Behavioral Health System
Need a Doctor?
If you require a primary care physician, the Catholic Medical Partners participating physician network will provide you with access to hundreds of local physicians who are committed to setting a higher standard of care for their patients.
Find Your Doctor
First Choice recognizes the importance of maintaining established doctor/patient relationships and provides its members with a large provider network.
To determine if a provider participates in the First Choice network, exit the First Choice website and log onto the “Find A Doctor” Option on the Independent Health website. (How to Search for a Doctor)
Health and Wellness
Keeping members healthy and better management of ongoing or chronic medical conditions is an important aspect of First Choice. There are many wellness services offered to promote good health, wellness and illness prevention, often covered in full or at a reduced co-pay including, but not limited to the following:
- Routine Mammograms
- PSA (prostate cancer) Screening
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening
- Bone Density (Osteoporosis) Screening
- Routine Physical Examinations
- Adult and Child Immunizations
- Routine Gynecological Care, Including Pap Smears
- Well Child Visits
- Maternity Care (prenatal and postnatal)
Many services offered through First Choice network facilities and in the physician’s office to promote good health are often covered in full or at a zero or reduced co-pay, such as:
- Bone Density
- Blood Testing (Lab)
For a complete listing, refer to your First Choice Benefit Summary or contact the Independent Health Customer Service Department at 716-631-2661.
Member Customer Service Assistance
If you require assistance for the following concerns, contact the Independent Health Customer Service Department at 716-631-2661.
- Request new or replacement identification card(s);
- Questions regarding a health claim;
- Initiate claim appeal process;
- Problems accessing the Independent Health web site;
- Enroll a covered dependent for Guest Membership privileges.
In the event of a medical emergency, always dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room for treatment.
A medical emergency is defined as an event, if not treated immediately, will result in the loss of life, limb or eyesight.
World-Wide Travel Coverage
First Choice offers the flexibility of world-wide benefit coverage for members requiring emergency medical services while traveling outside the Western New York region.
Transition of Care
As a new First Choice member, you may continue receiving previously scheduled medical treatments at a non-First Choice network facility. First Choice provides a transition of care by allowing continuation of treatment without incurring a deductible and coinsurance for using services at a non-First Choice provider.
The Guest Membership option provides comprehensive benefit coverage for First Choice members and covered dependents living outside of the Western New York area for a minimum of 90 days in a year.
Enrollment is quick and easy. Contact the customer service department using the telephone number located on the back your member identification card.
When a provider orders laboratory testing by providing you with a prescription to receive services that are not performed by the provider at the time of the office visit, you must use services at a First Choice network facility to receive in-network benefits.
If a lab or culture sample is taken during the office visit, the office staff is responsible for sending the sample for testing; therefore you are only liable for the applicable office visit co-pay or coinsurance.
First Choice Forms/Plan Information
The links below open a PDF in a new window.
- First Choice Administrative Manual
- Benefit Summary
- ProAct Automatic Refill PBD
- ProAct Patient Profile PBD
- Wegmans Mail Order Form
- Customer Service Contact Information
- Out-of-Network Subscriber Claim Form
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Transition of Care Form
- Health Care Proxy
- Authorization to Disclose Protected Health Information (PHI)
- 24-Hour Medical Help Line
- Nurse Chat